As one of the most popular basketball leagues, the NBA draws a lot of betting attention from Canadians. This guide is all about NBA betting in Canada and includes information on how to start betting, which markets are the most profitable, and which are the best betting sites for NBA.
Best NBA Betting Sites
Understanding the NBA
The NBA league consists of 30 teams, divided into two conferences, with each conference split into three divisions. Throughout the regular season, each team plays 82 games. Most games are against opponents from the same conference, but they also play against teams from the opposite conference twice a year. Because some teams play against each other several times throughout the year, betting on these games is easier due to the plethora of available statistics.
The top eight teams from each conference enter the playoffs at the end of the regular season. During the playoffs, teams compete in best-of-seven series, with each losing team eliminated. The top teams from each division are left to battle it out in the NBA Finals. Betting on the NBA Playoffs and Finals is much more common for Canadians due to the higher stakes and thrilling games.
After the finals are over, the offseason begins. But first, there’s the NBA Draft, where teams can recruit new college basketball players or international players. The worst-performing teams from the previous season gain priority in picking from the pool of available players. That’s why it’s a common strategy for teams without high aspirations to “tank” during a season to get better draft picks. Plus, draft picks are often used as negotiation assets in player trades.
How We Rank NBA Sportsbooks
Choosing the best sportsbook for NBA online betting is very important, as there are dozens of betting sites available for Canadians. Additionally, to find the best sportsbook, you need to consider several factors.
At MansionBet, we use our years of industry experience to look through every sportsbook's aspects and find the best NBA betting sites in Canada.
Below, you will find some of the essential factors we take into account when choosing the best Canadian sportsbooks for NBA betting.
- Reputation & Security: Safety and security should always be a top priority when choosing an NBA betting site, as you don’t want to jeopardize your personal or financial information. Our list of the top NBA sportsbooks includes only licensed and reputable providers that operate legally within Canada.
- Available Markets: Every NBA bettor wants access to a wide variety of available betting markets to have more options and ultimately pick the one they feel most comfortable with. Since NBA matches offer myriads of different markets, you should choose a sportsbook with a healthy selection of betting options with sharp lines.
- Betting Odds: Sports betting is all about finding the best value, which essentially comes down to finding the best betting odds among multiple providers. Since MansionBet has several years of experience in the sports betting industry, we know competitive odds when we see them. That’s why we only choose sportsbooks that offer the best NBA betting odds.
- Deposit Methods: Every bettor has different preferences regarding payment methods. While many prefer the classic credit/debit cards or bank transfers, some use more modern options like e-wallets, vouchers, or cryptos. That’s why a wide selection of deposit methods is essential for every sportsbook we choose to accommodate as many bettors as possible.
- Bonuses & Promos: Bonuses and promotions are one of the best tools for any sports bettor who wants to make large profits. Even though every sportsbook has different offers, you should ideally choose one with a generous welcome package to get additional funds for your account. Plus, a provider needs to have daily and weekly promos to keep players engaged.
- User Experience: What good is a sports betting app with competitive odds if it’s not easy to navigate and pleasant to use? The end-user experience is critical to any sportsbook that wants to retain its players for a long time. That’s why MansionBet chooses basketball betting sites with user-friendly interfaces and a smooth overall browsing experience.
- Customer Support: If you use sportsbooks often, there’s a good chance you may run into issues from time to time. That’s when you’ll need high-quality customer support service. A top sportsbook will have an excellent team of agents, who you can contact through different methods, and will be there to listen to any problems you may have and help you solve them.
- Sign-Up Process: A quick and simple sign-up process is another important aspect of a good sportsbook. After all, once you learn about a new sportsbook, you want to get into the action as soon as possible. We always go through the account creation process for every sportsbook, so we can give you all the information and details you may need.
- App & Mobile Support: In the day and age of smartphones, where more and more people choose to bet from their phones, it’s important for top sportsbooks to have great betting apps. We always prioritize sportsbooks with a good mobile betting experience through a dedicated mobile app or a well-optimized mobile website.
Best NBA Betting Sites
Here are the best NBA betting sites that are available for Canadians. Listed below, you’ll find renowned sportsbooks that offer a great overall NBA betting experience but also have certain unique features.
Best NBA betting user experience
Most reputable NBA betting site
Best for NBA live betting
Best NBA props
Best NBA betting lines
Best NBA betting markets
Most deposit options for NBA betting
Sports Interaction is one of the top NBA betting sites in terms of overall user experience. With a lengthy presence in the online gambling industry, Sports Interaction has been the go-to choice for Canadians for many years. The sportsbook features a well-designed online website, excellent basketball coverage, including all NBA matches, plenty of deposit options, and exceptional customer support.
🎖️ Features: Boosted Odds, Early Cash-Out, NBA Props & Futures
👍 What We Like: User-friendly online interface, Tons of betting markets and lines, 24/7 live chat support
👎 What They Can Improve: Limited number of promos, No dedicated mobile app, Not enough player props
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, Instant Payments, iDebit, Interac e-Transfer, Instadebit, eCheck, Paysafecard
📱 Apps: iOS & Android App (Ontario Only)
As a part of the 888 Holdings group, 888sport is one of the most well-renowned sportsbooks in Canada. With 888sport, you get a great betting experience, both through its modern website and dedicated mobile app. Plus, you get access to many betting markets with very competitive odds and constant promos for the NBA, as well as other sports.
🎖️ Features: NBA Bet Builder, Live Betting, NBA Bet Feed
👍 What We Like: Generous welcome package, Several NBA prop bets, Great mobile app
👎 What They Can Improve: No VIP program, Lack of a 24/7 live chat, Limited payment options
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, Interac e-Transfer, Apple Pay, MuchBetter, Paysafecard
📱 Apps: Dedicated app for Android & iOS
What makes Betway stand out as one of the best NBA betting sites is its thorough basketball live betting section. With Betway, you can access multiple NBA point spreads and other betting lines, both pre-game and in-play. Through the easy-to-navigate online website or mobile app, you’ll be able to bet on your favourite NBA teams quickly and easily. Not to mention that Betway offers boosted odds on NBA markets very frequently.
🎖️ Features: Betway Boost, NBA Live Betting, Cash Out
👍 What We Like: Excellent 24/7 live chat, Wide selection of markets, Great mobile website & app
👎 What They Can Improve: No Bet Builder for NBA, Subpar live streaming performance, Not the best betting odds
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, Interac, Instadebit, iDebit, Electronic Check, Paysafecard, Ecopayz, Neosurf
📱 Apps: Dedicated mobile app for iPhone & Android
When it comes to NBA players and team props, Bet99 is one of the best out there. The sportsbook provides a smooth browsing experience for all Canadians through its excellent user interface and bilingual website. Plus, Bet99 provides access to a huge coverage of sports, including the entire NBA season, and a ton of payment options to accommodate all players.
🎖️ Features: NBA Boosted Odds, NBA Player Props, NBA Bet Builder
👍 What We Like: Exclusive NBA Playoffs betting markets, Wide selection of deposit options, Great live betting coverage
👎 What They Can Improve: Small max bet on boosted odds, No customer support phone option, Lack of dedicated mobile app
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, MuchBetter, Instadebit, Interac, iDebit, ecoPayz, Flexepin, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin
📱 Apps: No dedicated app, but mobile-friendly website
If you’re looking for the largest selection of NBA betting lines, then you should definitely check out TonyBet. The sportsbook is one of the most reputable and safe providers with multiple licenses, including one from the Kahnawake Gaming Commission. Plus, its user-friendly online interface and live betting section will provide you with a seamless betting experience both from your computer and smartphone.
🎖️ Features: NBA Live Betting, Early Cash-Out, NBA Player Specials
👍 What We Like: Plenty of betting markets & lines, Tons of payment methods, 24/7 live chat option
👎 What They Can Improve: No live streaming function, No customer support phone option
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, Interac, iDebit, Instadebit, EcoPayz, AstroPay, Jeton, MiFinity, Paysafecard, NeosurfVoucher, Bitcoin, Ethereum, Litecoin, Cardano, Dogecoin, XRP, TRON, Tether USD
📱 Apps: Mobile app for Android & iPhone
While relatively new in the online sports betting industry, LeoVegas has seen a significant rise in popularity over the past few years. LeoVegas is an excellent sportsbook for NBA bettors who want a combination of multiple betting markets and lines and competitive odds to go with them. You may not find all the payment options you want, but you’ll definitely enjoy its superior mobile experience through its excellent native mobile app.
🎖️ Features: NBA Live Streaming, Cash Out, NBA Bet Builder
👍 What We Like: Excellent mobile app, 24/7 live chat support, Competitive NBA betting odds
👎 What They Can Improve: Limited options for deposit, Unappealing website design, Subpar bonuses & promos
💳 Payment Methods: VISA, MasterCard, Instant Bank Transfer, Interac, NeoSurf, iDebit
📱 Apps: Dedicated app for iOS & Android
Despite lacking the popularity of other NBA betting sites on our list, Fezbet offers a unique betting experience for basketball fans. Through its intuitive online website, you’ll be able to bet on your favourite NBA teams and players, using its plethora of betting markets and competitive odds. What’s more, you’ll find the largest selection of deposit options, so you can top up your account whichever way you like.
🎖️ Features: NBA Bet Builder, Live Betting, NBA Player Specials
👍 What We Like: 24/7 support through live chat, Widest assortment of payment methods, Plenty of bonuses & offers
👎 What They Can Improve: Subpar mobile experience, Lack of a dedicated app, Low withdrawal limits
💳 Payment Methods: MasterCard, Interac, Neosurf, ecoPayz, MiFinity, MuchBetter, eVoucher, Flexepin, Jeton, eZeeWallet, BitcoinCash, Bitcoin, Litecoin, Ethereum, Tether, Ripple, USD Coin, DAI
📱 Apps: No dedicated mobile app
How to Bet on the NBA
Now that you’ve learned about our top NBA betting sites, it’s time to dive deeper into the world of basketball betting. Below, you’ll find all the information you need to start your NBA betting journey, from how to read and understand NBA odds, which betting markets are the best for you, and general tips to make an even larger profit from your NBA bets.
NBA Betting Odds
NBA bets follow the same odds format as any other sport. Depending on your preference, you can view betting odds in fractional, decimal, or American format. American odds essentially show you how much money you’ll win if you bet a certain amount.
For instance, -110 odds means you need to wager $110 to make a profit of $100. On the other hand, odds of +150 mean that if you bet $100, your profit will be $150.
As you can see, odds are one of the most important aspects of NBA betting, as they basically show you how much profit you can make. Another critical aspect of odds you must understand is their relationship to probabilities.
Essentially, betting odds show the probability of a particular event. For instance, let’s assume you believe the Lakers have a 55% chance to beat the Clippers at their next match. When you wager on the Lakers at -150 odds, you basically bet that the Lakers have a 60% chance of winning the bout. That’s considered bad value since you believe the actual chances of the Lakers are lower than what their odds imply.
Comparatively, if you bet on the Lakers at -100, these odds imply a 50% chance of a Lakers win. Therefore, this bet is regarded as a good value since your estimated probability is higher than what the odds imply.
That’s why looking for sportsbooks with competitive odds is important, as they will give you an edge in your game. Sometimes, even a slight difference in betting odds between two sportsbooks can make a specific bet more valuable in the long run.
NBA Betting Markets
Betting markets are basically certain outcomes that you bet will happen during a specific match. There are several different types of betting markets for the NBA, as well as most sports. Some of the most common ones include:
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most common and simplest NBA bet you can place since it’s basically a prediction for the winner of the match. You’ll usually come across 2-way moneylines where any overtimes are included, but there are also 3-way moneylines which have the option for a draw.
- Point Spread: NBA point spreads are a very common betting market in matchups where there’s a strong favourite. In a point spread bet, you wager on how many points the favourite will win by. For example, in a game between the Suns and the Thunder, a point spread of -9.5 for the Suns means they need to win by 10 or more points for the bet to win. Comparatively, +9.5 for the Thunder means they need to lose by up to 9 points or win for the bet to be successful.
- Totals: NBA totals are also known as Over/Under bets and revolve around the sum of points both teams will score in the game. You may get one or multiple lines for this market, depending on which sportsbook you choose. For instance, in a game with a line of 220.5 points, if the total points end up being 221 or more, then the “Over” bet wins. If instead, the points tally up to 220 or less, the “Under” bet wins.
- Player & Team Props: NBA props are different from other betting markets because they usually don’t revolve around the game's final outcome. They are wagers on specific outcomes like “the first team to reach 50 points” or “Steph Curry to score over 30.5 points”. Player props, in particular, are very common among NBA bettors since they often provide much value.
- Futures: NBA futures are long-term bets about the outcome of the entire season. You usually place them before the season starts, but they’re also available for the entirety of the regular season. The most common future bet is the outright winner of the NBA Finals, and you can also bet on Division and Conference winners, as well as which teams will make the Playoffs.
Tips & Strategies for Betting on the NBA
While basketball betting might initially seem complicated, you’ll easily get the hang of it once you place a few bets. There are also some strategies and tips you can follow that will help you get your betting game to the next level and start making large profits.
The first thing you should understand is that NBA betting is all about numbers and probabilities. As mentioned above, you need to find the edge over the bookmakers to be a successful bettor.
To do this, you’ll need to base your predictions on logic and statistics rather than your emotions. Sometimes, a good value bet might be to wager against your favourite team. You’ll need to be able to do this without regret if you want to be profitable in the long run.
One of your strongest weapons as an NBA bettor is team and player statistics. Since the NBA season is very long and consists of many games, it’s easier to have more accurate stats about a certain team’s playstyle or a player’s performance. For instance, if two teams have played each other four times in the current season, with all four games going over the total points line, it makes more sense to bet on the “Over” again.
These statistics are particularly helpful for players as well. For example, if a player has been scoring an average of 15 points per game over the past ten games, and his line is at 12.5 points, an “Over” bet on his points may be a good value.
Here’s a comprehensive checklist to follow before you place an NBA bet:
- Choose the specific NBA match you want to bet on.
- Look up player and team statistics for both teams from their previous meetings, as well as their entire season.
- Consider if any players are absent or have certain game time limitations due to injury or because they are being rested.
- Look for odds from different markets on several sportsbooks to find the best value.
- Decide how much you want to wager, place your bet, and enjoy the game!
NBA Bonuses & Promotions
The best time to sign up with a new sportsbook is right before the start of the NBA season, as most NBA betting sites will offer NBA-specific promos to entice new players to join them. Additionally, during the offseason, some sportsbooks may offer specific NBA Playoffs and NBA Finals betting promos since it’s the time of year when NBA betting in Canada is at its peak.
All these NBA promos can be very helpful for both new and veteran bettors to increase their bankroll and help them make even larger profits. Below, you’ll find the top welcome offers and NBA promos from some of the most reputable sportsbooks in Canada:
Best Welcome Package: Sports Interaction
Sports Interaction has by far the most lucrative welcome bonus among the best betting sites for NBA. The sportsbook offers a 100% welcome bonus on your first deposit up to a whopping $1,000 in bet credits. This offer is available to all new Sports Interaction customers and only requires a minimum deposit of $10. Therefore, it’s good for new bettors who don’t want to spend too much but also for high rollers who wish to find the best value for their money.
Additionally, the offer doesn’t come with very strict terms and conditions, as you only need to wager your initial deposit amount once before you can unlock the bonus. However, your bet credits can only be placed on bets with maximum odds of up to 3.00 (+200).
Finally, the cherry on top is a bonus reward if you’re a fan of the Toronto Raptors. For every pre-game moneyline you place on the Raptors, you’ll get bonus rewards if they win and score at least 120 points. This means you can support your favourite team and win even more!
Best NBA Promotions: 888sport
Among its many bonuses and promotions, 888sport features a unique promo for the NBA. Whenever you place a $25 or more bet using the NBA Bet Builder feature, you get a $5 free bet. Your Bet Builder needs a minimum of 4.00 (+300) odds, and you’ll get the free bet regardless of whether your Bet Builder wins or loses.
And the best part; this offer is available once every day from Monday to Friday, throughout the entire season. This means that you can utilize it multiple times, which is very helpful if you’re a frequent NBA bettor. Plus, you don’t need to place a single Bet Builder of $25. You can place a few smaller ones, provided they meet the minimum odds requirement and total $25 or more.
NBA Betting Rules
Even though we’ve thoroughly discussed NBA betting tips and strategies, there are a few specific betting rules that can affect your bets. Every sportsbook will have its own set of rules and regulations about whether an NBA bet has “action” or is considered “void”.
A general rule that most sportsbooks follow is that for a moneyline or point spread bet to have “action”, the game must last at least 43 minutes for NBA matches. If less than 43 minutes are played, the bet is considered “void”, and you simply get your stake back. Sportsbooks also have different venue and date change policies, but they usually consider your bet “void” in these cases.
Another important betting rule to remember is that overtime counts towards most NBA bets, with the most relevant one being the total points bet. In the case of an “Over” bet, potential overtime can be beneficial for you since it gives you more time for your bet to win.
On the other hand, “Under” bets have a higher chance of losing during overtime. Therefore, a good strategy when placing totals bets on the “Under” is to put a small amount on the “Tie” outcome to compensate for the overtime.
Finally, you should never forget that NBA props for players will only count if the player enters the game, even for a few seconds. This can be very beneficial if you know that a player has an injury problem and won’t play for very long, in which case you can bet on the “Under” for his points, rebounds, or assists.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions regarding NBA betting in Canada:
What are the most popular types of NBA bets?
Similar to most sports, there are many different types of NBA bets to choose from. By far, the most popular and simplest NBA betting market is the moneyline, where you predict the winner of the game. Other popular NBA markets include point spreads, totals, prop bets, and futures.
What are NBA props?
NBA props, or proposition bets, are specific betting markets that predict certain outcomes during an NBA match. There are team props, such as how many points a team scores during the first quarter, as well as player props that revolve around a particular player’s stats like his points, assists, and rebounds.
Does overtime count in basketball betting?
In general, overtime counts in almost all types of basketball betting, and you should consider it when placing your bets. It’s especially important in total points bets and player props, as the additional time can help your “Over” bets and hinder your “Under” bets.
How to bet on the NBA playoffs?
NBA Playoffs betting is just like betting during the regular season. However, there are some factors to consider. The biggest aspect of the NBA Playoffs is the home-court advantage since one team will play more games at home. Additionally, it’s believed that players tend to perform better since the stakes are way higher.
How to bet on the NBA finals?
NBA Finals betting is very similar to the Playoffs with some additional small details. The most important one is that the two finalists come from different Conferences, so they haven’t played against each other much throughout the season. So, be careful and place more conservative bets during the first few matches until more stats are available for both teams.
- Canadian Betting Sites
- Best NBA Betting Sites